Winterizing your Atlanta landscape is important as colder temperatures are on their way. Taking the necessary precautions will help prevent lasting winter damages. According to the Old Farmer’s Almanac, we are in for a very cold and wet winter! As the temperatures drop below freezing, remember these helpful tips when winterizing your Atlanta landscape.
- Mulch trees and shrubs with 2 to 4 inches of wood chips or pine straw depending on coldness
- Adding shrubs or a fence will offer protection to your landscape from those chilly winter winds
- Remove all fallen leaves from your lawn as they prevent moisture from reaching the roots and keep sunlight from from reaching the grass blades
- Water plants and trees at root level when temperatures are above freezing. Avoid getting stems and leaves wet if possible.
- Avoid walking on your frozen lawn as much as possible as it can cause damage to your turf
- Refrain from knocking the snow off your trees and shrubs. They are frozen and will break causing more damage